Sunday 14 July 2013

About gardening

My father in Yogyakarta has a farmland and he also likes to grow fruits and vegetables in our home garden. He even has fish ponds. He really loves spending his day outside the house, whether at the farmland, fish pond or garden,  especially now when he already retired from his job. Although he grows a lot of fruits: banana, rambutan, guava, mango, passion fruit, snake fruit, durian, melinjo, cassava, sweet potato, jack fruit, etc.. and vegetables: rice, long green bean, chili, peanut, corn, tomato, caisim, etc.. i never really connected to the garden. I like to harvest the fruits and vegetables. That's all. But now after i experienced gardening myself, i know why my father really enjoy his time outdoor in the garden.

My father and my daughter, Lin, fishing at one of my father's fish pond.

Gardening can ease our mind. And we will always excited to see the growth of the plants. It's almost unbelievable that the plants we sowed is now growing and almost ready to harvest, and some are already blossom and soon will turn to tomatoes or sweet peppers. And by grow our own food we can be sure that no chemical is used, either pesticides or chemical fertilizer. One of my inspiration to start gardening is this. I bought the seed online. If you are in Indonesia area you can buy it here. It's good for beginner and if you grow the vegs for your own comsumption because they sell it in small packages. And it's very cheap, a thousand rupiahs/pack.

I started gardening around 2 months ago. So actually i am not really harvest my vegetables yet. They are still growing and i hope i will harvest some pakchoy and white long radishes in the upcoming 2-4 weeks. I plant my vegs mostly in containers because the soil here in Indramayu contains a lot of clay. So i bought good soil, manure, compost and rice husk in local nursery store. Here are some of my homegrowing vegetables which is taken a few weeks back:

Pakchoy 23 days old.

 White long radishes 23 days old.

Sweet pepper 23 days old.
Cherry tomato 23 days old.

Celery 1.5 months old.

I sowed a lot of celery seeds but thats's all i get. Well at least i get some...
So are you a long time-experinced gardener, or are you a new beginner just like me?


No comments:

Post a Comment